Sending us an email is best
csa at sunrisefarmvt dot com
1759 N Hartland Rd
White River Junction, VT 05001
Job Openings - 2019
We are hiring two full-time positions for the 2019 season, one running from April through November and the second from May through September. The work is primarily focused on organic vegetable production, though Sunrise employees are part of everything from boiling maple syrup to birthing lambs to seeding vegetables to slaughtering chickens to cutting firewood. Sunrise is a Vermont hill farm that’s been growing food for more than two centuries. Since 2000, the farm has been run as a CSA. We currently grow vegetables for 275 shares and raise sheep, laying hens, and broiler chickens. We dabble in the sweet stuff with our own honey and maple syrup and sell a wide variety of foods from other local farms, from cheese to beef to ice cream.
The majority of time will be spent growing and harvesting vegetables as well as helping to care for the livestock. Our CSA is 100-percent on-farm pickup, so you will have a chance to interact with CSA members whether you’re restocking the kale or selling lamb sausage. The job is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM to 4 PM with a half hour off for lunch. Each employee also takes a share of the weekend chores, which usually means one weekend of coverage every other month.
-We prefer that you’ve worked at least one complete season on another farm.
-We work in rain, sun, snow, wind, heat, and cold—preparedness and a positive attitude are essential for success. We also shift frequently from one task to another, so an ability to transition efficiently is important.
-We aim to work hard during work hours and then knock off at a reasonable time. You must be able to put in a solid eight hours of effort every weekday, lift heavy objects, and deal with whatever comes along. You also need to be able to work closely with other people, since most activities require joint effort.
-We slaughter our own chicken and lamb on farm—you must be a willing and active participant in this.
-Valid driver’s license
-This is a paid position, starting at $12/hour, depending on experience.
-The farm is just two miles from White River Junction, the cultural hub of east-central Vermont, and eight miles from Hanover, New Hampshire, home of Dartmouth College. The farm is two hours from Boston, three hours from Montreal, and four hours from New York City.
We do require an in-person work interview.
Sunrise Farm is located on US Rte. 5 just over one mile south of the V. A. Hospital and the Upper Valley Aquatic Center.
From the north:
1) Take I-91 exit 11 (White River Junction)
2) At the end of the ramp, turn onto U.S. Route 5 south and go past the V.A. Hospital
3) 1.3 miles after the V.A., the farm driveway will be on your right--there's a big red barn, white farmhouse, and vegetable fields.
4) If you go too far, you'll pass the town ballfields on your left.
From the south:
1) Take I-91 exit 9 (Hartland / Windsor)
2) At the end of the ramp, turn onto U.S. Route 5 north
3) Go through the villages of Hartland 3 Corners and North Hartland
4) About 7 miles from the village of Harland 3 Corners, you'll pass the town ballfields on your right. The farm driveway is the next left after the ballfields. You'll see a big red barn, white farmhouse, and vegetable fields.